I used these ingredients to make pesto today, and it was soooooo good! Pesto, where have you been all my life?? I think this needs to become a new staple in my diet.
- toasted sunflower seeds
- olive oil (I used grapeseed this time because we were out of olive oil)
- fresh basil
- fresh spinach
- freshly squeezed lemon
- parmesan or feta
- lots of garlic sauteed in butter
- celtic sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- (would probably be awesome with a few coarsely chopped sundried tomatoes tossed in for good measure)
- a little water to help the blender function better
Blend it all up for something amazing! I licked the spoon afterwards. Yum.
Ideas for using the pesto:
- today I tossed in it quinoa shell pasta with steamed asparagus!
- spread it on a pizza crust of some sort (cauliflower crust perhaps) with mozzarella on top
- marinade chicken breasts in it, then pour it all on top of them while they bake and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and serve over rice
- use it as a dip on crackers, with or without the addition of a slice of cheese on top (provolone or swiss maybe)
- toss cubed potatoes in it and roast them
- spread on a wrap with swiss or provolone and sliced turkey breast and roll it up and slice it into pinwheels
- put it inside grilled cheese sandwiches
- make a quinoa salad with it
- toss steamed vegetables in it
- bake salmon in it